If you feel radiating pain, numbness or tingling it is possible one or more of your nerves may be irritated by a bulging or herniated disc. The bones in your spine are called vertebrae and in-between the vertebrae are your discs, which act as shock absorbers. These control the spine’s range of motion, flexibility and keep the bones and spinal cord safe from damage. However, when a disc is damaged, the inside of the disc can squeeze out of place and bulge into the spaces where the nerves exit the spinal cord. Depending on which disc is affected, will give you symptoms to different parts of your body. When the bulge is severe, it is called a herniated disc.
A herniated disc can be incredibly painful and can cause a great deal of limitations on the body’s movement, thus hindering a person’s mobility and overall ability to perform day-to-day tasks. A herniated disc can cause a variety of symptoms including radiating pain down the arm or leg depending if the herniated disc is in your neck or low back.
A herniated disc in the neck can be just as painful as a herniated disc in the back. Arm pain from a herniated disc in the neck is one of the more common neck conditions treated by spine specialists. Although a herniated disc in the neck may start from some sort of trauma or injury, the symptoms commonly start from poor posture or muscle strains.
Possible symptoms include:
- Aches in the low back or neck.
- Pain, tingling, numbness or weakness.
- Severe, deep muscle pain and/or muscle spasms.
- With herniation in the lower back, radiating pain may develop to the buttocks and down a leg to the ankle or foot.
- With herniation in the upper part of the lumbar spine, you may have pain in the groin or the front of the thigh.
- With herniation in the neck, you may have pain or numbness in the shoulders, arms, hands or chest.
Whether you have just recently suffered from back or neck pain, or have been dealing with it for a long time, we can help. By pinpointing the root cause of your problem, we provide you with a comprehensive treatment that will relieve your pain quickly and enable you to enjoy a pain-free life.